Bears Beat Blue Devils Again


Bears Beat Blue Devils Again
By Jasmine Deserae

Union City — The Union City Bears faced the Cambridge Springs Blue Devils for the second time this season. Like their first meeting, the Bears came out on top with a 56-49 victory. UC’s record advances to 13-3 overall and 9-1 in the region.

It was a tightly played game with both teams battling for the lead. The Bears started with an early two point lead from a driving layup by Miles Parker. The Devils were quick to respond with 3 points of their own. Cambridge managed to pull their lead ahead scoring 6 unanswered points. That is until the end of the quarter when Blake Hornaman hit a wide-open three-pointer at the buzzer. Quarter one ended 12-9 with Cambridge on top.

In the 2nd quarter, Union City came more alive. Parker continuously found the hoop and went to the free-throw line to keep the Bears in pace with the Devils. UC’s defense did not allow Cambridge to pull too far ahead. For most of the quarter, the rivals were tied. First it was 16-16 and eventually 18-18. Just before the buzzer, the Devils found room the Union City’s man-to-man defense for a layup. This put Cambridge in the lead at the half 20-18.

The Bears finally started to take control in the final quarters. With an assist from Andrew Hoban, Brayden Kinney was able to drive for a layup to give UC a 2-point lead. Kinney started heating up as he slid down the baseline any chance he could get open. Blake Hornaman helped the Bears by burying a 3-pointer to make the score 31-30 in UC’s favor. Parker did the same at the key to give Union City a 6-point advantage.

Despite questionable officiating in the 4th quarter, the Bears eventually pulled far enough ahead to secure the game. The Devils did have the lead a few times early in the quarter, it Union City fought hard on defense and offense for every point. Hornaman hit another 3-point shot and assisted Bronnan Higley for 2 points. As time wound down, Parker broke free for a wide-open layup. The game ended with Hoban at the line shooting two.

Parker was the team’s leading scorer Friday night with 23 points. Higley followed with 13 points, Hornaman 9 points (all of which were 3-pointers), Kinney with 8 and Hoban with 3 points. The Bears’ next home game with be Thursday, February 7th, against the Cochranton Cardinals. This will be a huge game for both teams!